How fascist is AVEN?
I would describe them as "half-fascist."
Wikipedia defines fascism as
a far-right, authoritarian, ultranationalist political ideology and movement, characterized by a dictatorial leader, centralized autocracy, militarism, forcible suppression of opposition, belief in a natural social hierarchy, subordination of individual interests for the perceived good of the nation and race, and strong regimentation of society and the economy.
Let's go through that point by point:
- far-right. This does not describe AVEN.
- authoritarian. Very much so. The moderating team makes all its decisions from behind closed doors.
- Ultranationalist. No, not even close.
- Dictatorial leader. Kind of. It's not one leader, but a small group with no real system of checks and balances.
- Centralized autocracy. Kind of. See above.
- Militaristic. Irrelevant in this context.
- Forcible suppression of opposition. Very much so. Criticism of the team is forbidden, and branded as "flaming".
- Belief in a natural social hierarchy. Apparently so. Their recent decision to forbid the condemnation of antisemitism if it comes from non-Whites demonstrates their perception that some races are above having any of their members criticized.
- Subordination of individual interests for the perceived good of the nation and race. Sort of. It's more that their commitment to the idea of a social hierarchy interferes with the notion of individual equality before the law.
- Strong regimentation of society and the economy. AVEN doesn't run an economy, so this is somewhat irrelevant.